Making a cake from 70% Cocoa dark chocolate is better option then using Cocoa powder. ( a lot cheaper too).
70% best chocolate dark 150g
Orange zest 2 tbsp
Brown sugar 30g
Egg white separated 4 each medium or large 3
Egg yoke separated 4 each medium or large 3
Salt 1/4 tsp
Baking powder 1 tsp
White flour/ self rising flour/ maida/ all purpose flour 150g
Vanilla essence 1 tbsp
Unsalted butter 150g
Milk (4 – 5 tbsp if mixture is tight)
Ready made chocolate ganache or icing
(Tip: or make it at home ;
– melt more butter with more chocolate of your choice with cream or
– just heat cream carefully pour hot cream over chocolate)
Fresh fruits – blueberries, strawberry, raspberry
White chocolate giant buttons Cadbury
Ready made chocolate icing or make at home with cream and choclate
All products at room temperature (Tip: easy process)
Double boiler (Tip: hot water not boiling & should not touch the above bowl or chocolate in the bowl)
Whisker (Tip: good one)
Chopped fruit, mint washed and dried earlier
Chocolate chopped for easy melting
Butter and eggs at room temperature
Milk warm or at room temperature
Flour salt and baking powder sieved together
Egg yolks separated from egg whites
Preheat the oven till180’C
Melting chocolate on double boiler
Whisking egg whites till Stiff peak and adding in 1/3 portions patiently 😉
Cut and fold method for adding melted warm chocolate
Not to eat your ingredients ( I did ;))
Baking the cake till fork comes clear from center
Flipping the cake on cooling rack for cooling
1. Butter and flour a baking cake tin regular size
2. Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler
A. keeping a glass thick bottom bowl over simmering hot water not boiling.
B. Simmering Water should not touch the bowl.
C. Stir it occasionally and keep an eye
D. As it start to melt mix gently
E. When 70% of chocolate has melted remove from flame and mix.
F. If it cools and start to hard again melt slightly again before mixing in batter.
G. Make sure it’s not steaming hot when adding should be manageable.
3.Add a pinch of salt and 1 tsp sugar to egg whites and beat till stiff white peaks do not over whisk)
4. Beat egg yoke with other whisker with sugar
5. Sieve together salt, flour and baking powder in a bowl.
6. Add slowly in portions in egg yolks and sugar mixture
7. Now mix melted warm dark chocolate, butter to the flour, egg yolks and sugar mixture.
8. Add flavours to vanilla essence and (Tip: 1tbsp instant coffee brewed from morning will also do, mixture might get liquidly but don’t worry) with orange zest.
9. Now add slowly, 1/3rd or 1/4th portion of egg whites using cut and fold method one by one. Don’t over do it as we want the air in egg whites well keeled to make the cake light.
10. Put the mixed mixture in bake tin, tap slightly to make the cake levelled and bake for 25 – 30 mins or till skewer is clean from center when tested.
11. Once baked let it cool or rack.
12. When cooled put icing on your cake spreading nicely on the cake. (Tip: even the cake if necessary)
13. Let it set for 15-20 mins once happy.
14. Decorate the cake with fruits, gems, chocolates whatever you like. (Tip: Stick them with melted chocolate if required.)
15. Keep in fridge and take out 15 mins before serving depending on temperature.
16. Cut a perfect slice with hot knife (Tip: dipped and whipped under hot water).
I even prefer to microwave it if any leftover for a minute. It’s warm and moist and melts into my mouth. Really delicious !!